Monday, April 23, 2012

How to Train your Dragon - Arena Spectacular!


While the rest of the world's war-gaming blogging community seems to have had a great time at Salute in the UK over the Easter break, we on the other side of the world had a chance to enjoy an alternative experience.

New Zealand has been the first country to enjoy the DreamWorks How to Train your Dragon - Arena Spectacular.

From the people who brought you Walking with Dinosaurs, you now get thrilled with all manner of Dragons, walking and flying around the arena belching smoke and fire and fighting acrobatic viking warriors, under a wondrous blaze of lights, lazers and pyrotechnics. 

My family and I went up to the show at Auckland's Vecta Arena, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. And of course the kids came away with armfuls of merchandise from the show.

My son chose a plastic 'Toothless' dinosaur and I immediately thought it was perfectly scaled for 28mm gaming!

Though I haven't experienced it yet - SAGA , the skirmish viking era game has had good reviews, and I pondered whether it could handle the addition of such beasts from Norse mythology?

I'll be giving it a whirl shortly with a mate.

Oddly enough, my last show experience of 'HttyD' at the cinema, had me breaking out the LOTR dragon kit to make and paint... it could be this time I'll be painting up a bunch of Saxons I have for the SAGA game...

Plus I still have the LOTR Cave Drake model to assemble and paint, hmmm.....

If you get the chance to see the show, go see it, its well worth it!

Here's a shot from the end of the show, while everyone is 'taking a bow'.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful; now this is my sort of distraction! Dragons and Vikings, we'll be straying into 13th Warrior territory soon. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragons v Vikings! Brilliant! Yes, Grendel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Beowulf and Grendel (and his rather appealing mum!) did come into my mind too!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...