Saturday, November 17, 2012

'Little Tanks' - Mittlere Panzer Co. & Luchs

I finally got my horde of Panzer III's finished! I originally got them as a quick way of getting into the MidWar setting and they were probably originally destined for the Mediterranean theatre...

But after some time I realised that a DAK force didn't really appeal, and my young son's interest in painting up his 8th Army  troops seems to have fizzled onto the back burner...

So I decided to switch these guys to the Eastern Front setting, and paint them to match my existing forces. They are Plastic Soldier Company, Panzer III H variant, in 15mm scale.
 

Now, I am not sure but I may have taken some artistic licence in their depiction... Whilst the Panzer III H certainly featured on the Eastern front from the Mid War period onwards... I am unsure if they would have had the depicted 3 colour camo pattern... but I didn't really fancy painting them grey... as they then wouldn't match my existing forces... and besides I may proxy them as later variants of the panzer III ...

I completed them a couple of weeks back but was just waiting for a set of smaller scale decals for the turret numbers to arrive from DOM in the UK... The side of the turret of the Pz III H has a small raised area which I was concerned would not allow the standard size decals to lie flat, so I got the small ones so they sit just below the 'bump', and have gone on well.


HQ above with Co and 2iC



First platoon of three tanks


And then 2 platoons of five. All up together this gives 1350pts of armour. Add to this a little recce and maybe a Stuka and I will have a usable force on the table.

Next up a platoon of PanzerII L 'Luchs' (translation; Lynx):


The Panzer II was a tank that features in the early and MidWar setting but by the LateWar setting it had been modified and turned into a reconnaissance vehicle, where they seem to have been used quite widely on the Eastern Front.

Again these have been finished for a little while and were just waiting for the turret decals as again, the side of turret of the Luchs is rather small.

I also used them to demonstrate a guide to painting the German 3 colour camo pattern here.

8 comments:

  1. The PSC tanks look really good, if i was still doing WWII you painting would convince me to go out and buy they right now! Artistic license or not, these look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on these, Scott. I always liked the early war stuff better than all the trick kit of the later period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fine job of adding detail to these 15mm scale tanks. Not easy to do on 15mm as I'm discovering. Also I enjoy the eclectic mix of the things you're willing to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Panzers Scott - nice to see appreciation of these machines who, with only a small handful of Pz IVs, were responsible for most of Germany's gains in the early years.

    And historical or not - that 3 colour camo looks smashing! Just starting my first FoW army and hope it comes out as nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul :-) Yes the Early / Mid war battles with the smaller tanks are certainly interesting. I had hoped to come across forces of the Soviets fielding T-70's , but am concerned I am more likely to find the more fearsome T34!

      Best of luck with your journey into FoW!
      Check out our KapitiFoWGamers blog in sidebar - some nice articles there on FoW including how I paint this camo pattern. Hope this helps.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...