Saturday, July 27, 2013

Can't see the wood for the Trees?

Trees, you can never have enough trees, all different shapes, colours and sizes... and yet, go to any model store to buy some pre-made, ready to go,  good looking trees... and they cost the earth!

So being the hobbyist skin-flint that I am I always try and make my own and have tried several methods over the years.

Recently I came across a good article, on the Slave to Painting website... using bottle brushes...

I followed the instructions and was very pleased with the results.

The only problem is sourcing a wide variety of cheap bottle brushes. I sourced these from Petes Emporium in Porirua, where you get one big one and one small one, in a pack for NZ$1.50. I bought 6 packs...  and made what you see here. The biggest brush I tried cutting in half to make two medium size trees, but this was only partially successful as the bristles started falling out from the middle cut point.  I may try sealing them with some spray undercoat first next time before cutting.  Next time I am passing Porirua I'll grab some more...

Trees with 28mm Empire of the Dead figures

Trees with 15mm Flames of War figures

So in summary, take your bottle brush and trim bristles to desired shape.

Spray thoroughly with matt black undercoating spray. A proper undercoat spray still stays feeling slightly tacky after drying... I use Plastikote brand...

Mix up some thin glue mixture, using PVA wood glue and water, roughly 50/50... you want it quite runny... dunk in your brush, and drain off excess, back into pot ( I used an old food jar, tall enough to take the biggest 'tree')...

Liberally sprinkle with fine grade flock material.. Allow to dry.... this will take a while due to water content of glue. Once dry, repeat... two layers of flock work best...

Conceal the wire handle with a layer of DAS modelling clay. Score in a bark pattern before it fully dries. Paint brown and dark brown wash.

Cut out some bases, I used 3mm MDF, and a hole cutting attachment on my drill... but keep the cut out disk!

Hot glue the tree to the base, then flock the base as desired... I used my usual method; first up brown craft paint and PVA glue 50/50 and then sprinkle with brown flock ( I used dried out tea leaves from used tea bags). Once dry use some thinned PVA glue again to glue on patches of Green static grass.

Voila...!

These trees probably cost roughly NZ$2 each to make... last time I was at local hobby store, they were selling packs of two trees for NZ$22.50 !

Your only real commitment... is your time...

PS... for Styx, as requested below... this is as close an image to the ones I bought and used I have found on the web... they are basically a set of babies bottle brushes, one for the main bottle, the other smaller one for the silicone rubber nipple/teet, call it what you will...


20 comments:

  1. Very cool, they look good and can't beat the cost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent terrain pieces, Scott. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.

    I keep meaning to model my own trees, this may just prod me into doing something.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed can't beat the cost and i'd of though you had bought these when I first saw the blog post pop up! Great job mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is just brilliant and what a great idea! I've just about finished some trees using Loki's method, but this must be even cheaper, well done that man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good. I tried with my own trees but they didn't look too good and I gave in to get the Battlefield in a Box ones. They are good but do cost a lot. I like how these create real cover and won't fall over all the time when your sleeve hits it. Pete's emporium might have a run on bye brushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great. Maybe I will pop in when I am working next week. Happy to pick some up for you Dan?

      Delete
    2. Sorry I mean working in Porirua

      Delete
  7. Nice pieces of terrian Scott I'm sure they will do the trick.:-)

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bottle brushes, what a bloody good idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive Scott. they look better than a lot of the expensive pre-made ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff, could you post some images of the bottle brushes? I may have to see if I can find some of these in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look nice an professional Scott I may have to try them out.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  12. These have come up a treat Scott! Are you going to seal with anything to prevent the flock coming loose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could give them a blast with some cheap hairspray, but with the flock being very fine and the glue quick liquid in intitial state, it seems to have bonded very well. They look soft but are in fact, very hard!

      Delete
  13. They look great Scott. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent results Scott, fantastic work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great. I need to give this a try myself, because you are correct. You can never have enough trees!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are awesome! I've bought some bottlebrushes to give this a go.

    Is that woodland scenics "dark green" fine flock? Most places I've seen seem to only stock the chunkier foliage variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, yes it's dark green fine turf I think it's called... basically a dark green powdery substance.
      Cheers

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...