Monday, June 16, 2014

More work in Moria and a return to the Caribbean

With work on the Causeway stalling, due to a realization I'd positioned the stair way in the wrong place, I decided to find something else to make through the week, until the weekend rolled around again, and it would give me more time to fix up the causeway stairs...

So continuing the Moria theme, the one iconic thing about the Dwarrowdelf, are the pillars... the end of last weekend saw me rough out the main pillar shapes from Styrofoam, thanks to a heads up from 'Celevue' on the rough dimensions he had used for his.

They are made from 5cm thick styrofoam (I actually had 2.5cm thick sheet so had to glue two thicknesses together). The base piece is 9cm x 9cm. The mid piece 7cm x 7cm and the top pillar section is 25cm tall. Cutting these bits out was fairly straight forward. The lengthy bit was then cutting out all the polygon shapes. For this I used 5mm Depron sheet, which once each piece was cut out, I sliced it in half reducing the thickness to about 2.5mm. There are 3 overlaid pieces to each panel, to effect the design... This took me most of the week...


Dwarrowdelf-themed pillars, with orc for scale.

I am the first to admit they are not a perfect copy from the ones in the movie - its such a tricky design to copy perfectly - and so I am going to call these "Dwarrowdelf-themed" pillars! Since this picture was taken I have skim coated over the depron areas, in plaster to fill all the little gaps and give some texture. I have also cut back the corner side edges of the tall pillar sections by 1cm, and finally tonight, base painted them dark grey. A light drybrush with a lighter grey tomorrow should finish them off...

-----o0o-----

When the weekend finally rolled around, it was time to go back to the causeway and figure out what to do...

I needed to shift the stair way about 4" to the right as you look at it. I grabbed a long wood saw and sawed the main upright from the back wall, then cut the widened base of each 'leg' from the base board. Thankfully it all came away in one piece. So after a bit of extra measuring, trimming and fitting, I glued it back into where it should go... I also used the time to clad and build up the widened board back and base with foam and poly off-cuts...


Back and base widened and foam/poly clad...

Once the glue has dried, I'll skim it up in plaster again to hide the joins  etc., then build up a rock surface again on the widened back wall section. You can see where I have cut back the yellow expanding foam and skimmed the rock surface previously, to left of back wall...

... and Causeway stair relocated.

So now when Boromir runs out to edge of the broken stairway, there is now nothing below him...

Looking down into the yawning chasm depths...


Back to the sidewall and it was a case of the 'appliance of science', or at least in this case the appliance of large weights, and strips of MDF to fix the warping issue! Once this is dry I'll be able to think about positioning the side wall again with the goblins 'shooting gallery'

fixing the warping...

-----o0o-----

So after all this work down in the Black Pit that is Moria, (also known as my garage), it was time to come back up to the sun, and take a jaunt round the Caribbean!

Chris has been playing a new game he got with his pocket money for the Xbox; Assassins Creed 4 - which is set in the Pirate era, so as you can imagine we've been watching Pirates of the Caribbean again, and been looking at our Pirates and Legends of the High Seas stuff.

Having finally had success with water effects, on the Watcher board, I decided to do a full sea board with it, so have repainted one of my table tops in a sea pattern, using a stippling technique, with various blues, turquoises, a little green and dark patches. This I will go over with the Liquitex gel, but will need to order another pot to have sufficient to cover the board...

Caribbean sea, painted, awaiting Liquitex...

Also, having found an easier simpler method to bend balsa strips (just leave them soaking in water to soften them), I returned to a long forgotten project, and finished my jolly boat... a very simple design from a template, I made some time ago. I am just trying to decide if its worth making some oars for it...

Jolly boat brings pirate to shore...
This pirate activity, prompted a game of pirate action... Chris rarely wants to play a simple scenario... I guess that's where a child's imagination comes to the fore...

My Brig was set up, anchored just offshore of the Isle, then the Kraken attacked! ( using Watcher-in-the-water tentacles). Needless to say, my pirate crew were nimbly plucked from the vessel and squashed, pulled apart and drowned, (not necessarily in that order!) and the ship started taking a battering... seeing his doom near at hand, and having seen his captain pulled apart, the quartermaster thought "bugger this for a game of soldiers, I'm offski!" , and nimbly jumped overboard, despite his wooden leg, and landed in the jolly boat. A few other scurvy hands who had been hiding below decks, followed his example, and they rowed to shore while the Kraken remained distracted by destroying the ship...

Having made it ashore, they had just made it inland when they were set upon by cannibal natives, evidenced by blowpipe darts whizzing past their ears!

Having miraculously somehow managed to keep their powder dry, they fired a volley with their pistols and charged! The resulting fracas saw most of the cannibals cut down, with the rest fleeing back to their village, but not before the Quartermaster was murderously clubbed over the head!

And that was where we left our little adventure for the day... but not before I showed Chris this figure from the Northstar kickstarter... as expected, he just about exploded with excitement...



... not sure if I'll be going with the kickstarter, but I am certainly keen to pick this figure up once its available...
-----o0o-----

To finish off the weekend, once I had rescued my Brig from the bottom of the depths, I added a little balsa detail to it; the Cat-heads for the anchors and some trim below the rigging on the hull sides... one of these days I'll fully complete it!

I also had a rummage in the 'unfinished projects box' and dug out my other pirate sloop I had half finished a long time ago - I feel more balsa cladding coming on...

Another weekend task was tarting up my old river sections, adding a water ripple surface texture with the Mod Podge I bought earlier... that I left drying over night... boy, has that stuff got an odd smell!

I finally had another look at my Khazad Dum bridge board... I felt I had cut a rather too linear cliff edge (again having simply followed the mission brief in the LOTR scenario books). So I broke out the jigsaw and cut a kind of sharks tooth type pattern along the chasm edges, and then started resurfacing the cliff face using home made plaster cloth; crepe bandage soaked in a mix of runny plaster and PVA glue, till I ran out of crepe... another project to finish off through the week...


As always busy busy...

38 comments:

  1. You've been a busy man! Sounds like a great weekend though. The board looks great by the way. Glad to see some pirate action going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a fun period its hard to stay away from for long, you keep coming back to it...

      Delete
  2. That On the Seven Seas Nickstarter has some great figures Scott. I know I'm tempted, but then I usually am...
    Love the boat by the way - and definitely for the oars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate, Yeah I they are nice - I dont really need anymore 'pirate' figures but perhaps could do with some suitable marines for Navy crews...Yeah I figured as much too, I'll try and knock some up out of lollysticks... as that wood is a bit stronger than balsa...

      Delete
  3. Looks really good. Where do you get the high density styrofoam from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again excellent stuff, Scott.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with Moria.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefan, I hope to make steady progress from now on...

      Delete
  5. Love those pillars. Your Moria is going to be epic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking work on the Moria stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress on all fronts Scott, that last miniature is a stunner isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, its certainly got my interest, and I am not that much of a fan of the video game either...

      Delete
  8. Excellent work Scott! Great progress all round!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Pirates are certainly great looking figures. The Mines of Moria are certainly coming along nicely. AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr me Hearties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I hate when that happens! You've been a very busy man. Every kid these days wants an Assassins Creed figure. You could make one with a simple conversion if you need one right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, indeed. No hurry, I've got enough on my plate at the mo' without doing a conversion!

      Delete
  11. Those pillars are superb, as is everything else. Reading your posts and having watched Desolation of Smaug again last night, I feel an itch to dig out my LotR figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) Always happy to inspire! I know what you mean - I am actually looking forward to completing these as I am itching to get my Hobbit troll set done!

      Delete
  12. Those pillars are something else mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am hoping they'll really set off my terrain boards for some Moria themed action, not just for the Journeybook scenarios, but general battling in Khazad Dum! Just need to find a dwarf opponent or get my own dwarves painted up, for Chris to use!

      Delete
  13. Busy boy!... Looks like good progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dont know the half of it! ;-) Many thanks!

      Delete
  14. From the dank, murky depths of Middle Earth to the azure blue of the Carribean...quite a journey...you certainly get around.
    No doubt a sojourn in the sun was required after all that time in the gloom.

    Where on earth do you store all this amazing stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, indeed, got to try and keep a fresh perspective, yet also try and stay focused to get stuff completed... there are usually half done projects scattered all over the place too ;-) But I find if I wait long enough I invariably go back to them...

      Fortunately my Games room gives me a fair bit of space , but I must admit the Causeway is going to take some serious figuring out in terms of storage - I've been eyeing up the spare bedroom ;-)

      Delete
  15. Bloody amazing work - bravo Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scott, I've ordered the pirate Nickstarter and the one figure I don't want is the Assassin's Creed one so very happy to post it to you when it arrives in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure!? I would be most grateful! My son even more so!

      Delete
    2. Certain. Happy to donate to your son! I have a strange hatred of that character - it's his stupid hood!

      Delete
    3. You are very kind :-) LOL, yes I can see what you mean... it must impede his vision in a fight surely...?

      Delete
  17. Your project work is inspirational, especially since I hope to serge on a couple of terrain project in the near future. :-) That all in one North Star Pirate package is becoming more and more tempting...

    Looking forward to your next progress report! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason! Must admit I find your terrain work excellent too - looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
      I know what you mean about the Nickstarter... if they had done a crew based on Frasers "Pyrates" (http://scottswargaming.blogspot.co.nz/2011/05/pyrates.html ), I'd have been in like Flint - Captain Flint that is! ;-)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...