Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Ruins of Osgiliath

I recently finished my GW LOTR Ruins of Osgiliath set...

Sadly, being terrain, they can't count towards the Painting Challenge, but no matter, I couldn't resist painting them up, and they have already seen action in an Empire of the Dead game, as they are wonderfully generic multi-setting use...


After a black spray primer undercoat, I used FAS student acrylic paints, starting with Burnt Sienna, then dry brushed with Yellow Oxide and then White.

I filled the void under this piece with styrofoam, as suggested and effected a matching stone block look.

I didn't bother basing them as such, so they can be used on any base cloth and blend in nicely...


... plus I have found basing protruding from the edge of terrain pieces often affects model placement and stability... nothing more annoying than a banner that keeps toppling over!



So one set done, I now have to decide if I simply duplicate these with the other two sets I have, or vary their construction... I'll have to have a couple of dry runs and see how things look...


20 comments:

  1. I've always like this set but felt (as I have felt about every GW product) it was a little too high priced for what you get. But the burnt umber base and the yellow & white highlights really make this set pop. You are putting the LOTR bug back in my ear damn you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. Yeah I hear you. LOL, hope so! ;-)

      Delete
  2. We guess the test of time (and the orcs attacks) through these beautiful ruins...very atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work on the ruins Scott. The statues look really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great Scott, it's a shame you couldn't get any points for them in the competition. Looking forward to seeing what you do next with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Robert Audin, this is a great looking kit, but the retail price is a bit much, particularly as you are not able to make a complete "healthy" building from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, they were pricey, but I was fortunate to pick them up 2nd hand at a decent price, thanks to a great trade with Dave Docherty :)

      Delete
  6. Great job Scott... Far better than languishing in my loft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Dave, much appreciated - they'll certainly be getting a good work out in our future gaming here!

      Delete
  7. Very lovely terrain, Scott. I do like the statues in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top job Scott, they do look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff mate! They look great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, these are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work mate. I like the solid, ancient feel these have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color layering you did really looks great. I do like that these ruins can have use in multiple gaming time settings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you thought my suggestion was worthwhile, I've used your blog for countless ideas.

    Bret

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, that Burnt Sienna, which I keep hearing so much good on - I've never found it here in the peasant-part of Euroland. I did however find Simple Green (we exchanged some comments on this matter, which you might or mightn't remember)! I never thought it was possible. Now, I can throw all that crap painted before today into a jar and restart again and get 1800 reasons to live XD

    On the pricing of these ruins, I think they were fair priced, to be GW-produced, that is - you do get a lot of stuff in the box. Though I did pay Euro price for it: 200 SEK. In your neck of the woods, I suppose you paid the double :( Still doesn't matter, does it - hobby is hobby ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...